Thursday, April 14, 2011

Writing Alive!

I’m sitting on an airplane writing a blog after putting aside a novel about a writer obsessed with writing (John Irving’s LAST NIGHT IN TWISTED RIVER). Once I’ve composed this entry, I’ll return to revising my last novel. The snippets I write for Facebook, Twitter and general e-mail add up to a lot of words per month; the character and plot profile I’ve created for my newest novel is already thirteen pages long.

I look at the computers and e-readers in the hands of my seatmates and I see the truth. Writing isn't dying. It might exist in new formats, but it’s still very much alive in our work and in our hearts.

Truth be told, the unwritten protocols of social networking are boosting writing output instead of killing it. “Netiquette” cautions us to show in writing that we care about each other first..to carefully establish by-the-word relationships, before we sell our ideas and our products. We ‘approve’ our followers and control our ‘likers’ so we’re comfortable writing to an ever-growing circle of friends and acquaintances. We're a gigantic group of international Pen Pals who get to talk to each other in real time.

No, I’m not worried about the death of writing. My biggest concern with all the composing going on is whether I can beat out the crowd and create an original phrase or two. I better hurry up and write…or all the fresh wordings will be taken!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Rolynn, what a cute post. I agree with you--writing is not dying, and I'm jumping on the bandwagon before I miss out on an opportunity like epubs. I'm hearing so many wonderful things about how these books are selling like hotcakes. Why miss out?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Carly Carson said...

I think you're right but...do you have teens on your Facebook? It's a very limited form of communication, and the bulk of it is photos. They are the next generation. But, since the world doesn't only consist of teens (despite what they think), I'd rather agree with you.

Misty Dietz said...

Interesting and positive post, Rolynn. Thank you! When I start to hear doom and gloom about our society going to hell in a handbasket because the new generation is going down new roads, I always think to myself...haven't the parents/older members of society ALWAYS said that? It's just change. Everything will be okay. lol

Jill James said...

Rolynn, so true. I think we are so worried that the world is changing that we are not noting whether they are good changes or bad changes. The media may change, but the message is still there.

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

I finally joined the 'in' crowd and got my Kindle last week. Must say all the hype is right - I love it and have done more reading since I got it than I have in months. Simply - it is fun, it is easy and I am lovin' it.

I think the new technology is growing so fast that we have no idea where it will head next and how fast it get there. I am excited that I finally said, yes to a Kindle. I still have 700 books or so on my library shelves and I still intend to indulge in them, but variety is nice.

Mona Risk said...

Rolynn, I too noticed that the number of people using ereaders on the plane, around the pool, in the doctor's waiting room,.. have multiplied. Glad I am writing ebooks!

Josie said...

Rolynn,
The same has been written about music. How can new melodies still be created with all the music already written?

Clarissa Southwick said...

Thanks for a bright perspective. Change is sometimes scary, but the need for great stories lives on.