Tuesday, July 19, 2011

That's My Guy!

Bollywood movie stars with heavy eye make-up. The rugged Marlboro man. A courier in Louis XIV's court with a white perfumed wig and lace cuffs. An African hunter with intricate body scars made by rubbing wood ashes into knife cuts.

Astrologers and biologists assert subtle, yet powerful, attractions such as compatibility and pheromones. Culture (and advertising agencies) dictate prevailing standards for attractiveness, but I feel the attraction for a hero should be deeper than his skin tone. My kind of man doesn’t have to have rippled abs or azure eyes.

My eyes might linger on a man with physical beauty, but as soon as he opens his mouth, or fails to hold open the door, I know.

Oh yes, I know.

So what makes a memorable hero? What I find desirable may not be what turns you on, but I like a man who has:

1. intellectual curiosity
2. ethical values
3. above average vocabulary
4. interesting career path
5. honest charm
6. a nice butt
7. lovemaking skills (and the capacity to experiment)
8. dishwashing ability
9. kind eyes
10. used a shower regularly

What traits do you value in your heroes?

14 comments:

morgan said...

Hi Ana,

All good items are your list. Growing up as an Indiana farm girl, I would add must love animals, especially dogs. My sister when she met my SO, she immeditely told him he'd have to love dogs to date me. LOL.

It isn't surprising that my heroes are animal lovers.

Dawn Marie Hamilron said...

Great list, Ana. I'll underline a nice butt and add make me smile.

Welcome to Voices!

Ushma said...

Ana,

A great list. I would add a sense of humor and ability to accept their faults.

~Ushma

Luanna Stewart said...

LOL clean is in my top ten as well. I'd also add a sense of humour, and a willingness to go wild on occasion.

Jill James said...

Ana, love your list. At first sight, I'm shallow. I love a good butt on a guy. He can not have one, but he better then have lots of other qualities I want. A wide-read vocabulary is so important. After the all-important hot sex, he better be able to carry on intelligent pillow talk. All the other things, dependable, reliable, and stable, are things you discover - or not, as you get to know a guy.

Mona Risk said...

Ana, welcome to the Voices blog. For me a generous man with kind attentions is a gold mine. I am holding tight on mine.

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

I love a man with a quick smile that lights his whole face up - especialy when it's because he sees me. :) Most important is that he has honor, respect, and charm. I suppose it is the eyes I notice first. You can tell so much by what you see in his eyes.

Ana Morgan said...

Great traits, everyone.
We could go for a top 20 list.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Lordy, I hope he listens carefully to me, even when I don't make sense :-)

Misty Dietz said...

Great post, Ana! I like a man who can look a woman in the eye with a slight smile until she blushes. So much going unsaid there! :)

Ana Morgan said...

Oh, I like these, too. Definitely needs to be a top 20 list.

Josie said...

Ana,
A sincere welcome to our Voices blog. I agree with every item on your list. Also love a guy with a sense of humor and high morals.

Sheila Tenold said...

Ana, great post. Welcome aboard.

I want a man who is protective. I'm not a wimp, but I love it when my man steers me to the inside while walking down the road. A simple gesture which says so much.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Welcome from one newbie to another. Lovely post. Your list is quite admirable. Everyone's added excellent choices. My contributions to the list are: supports my writing, loves my kids and grandkids and spoils me as much as I plan to spoil him.