Saturday, October 8, 2011

Dave Barry: Are women more interested in a man's muscles or his sense of humor?

Hi Everyone,
It's the 8th of the month, and I'm sharing a classic Dave Barry on a woman's interest in a man's muscles or his sense of humor. Join me for a Saturday chuckle and please leave a comment for this informal poll: :)

"Puberty was a difficult time for me, but one day my mom, bless her heart, had a talk with me. She told me that girls were not interested only in looks--that the qualities that really mattered were brains and a sense of humor. That little talk was long ago, but it taught me an invaluable life lesson I have never forgotten: Moms lie when they have to. The truth is that---and I speak here as a trained humor professional--women are definitely more interested in muscles than a sense of humor. You will never hear a woman say: "I wish Brad Pitt would put his shirt back on and tell some jokes!"

It's me again. Do moms lie when they have to?

13 comments:

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Well, if it had been Gerard Butler and not Brad Pitt, he could have done anything and I'd be happy. ;)

Barbara Monajem said...

I chose a guy with muscles *and* a sense of humor. ;~)

Josie said...

I agree, Paisley. Gerard Butler is my choice, also.

Josie said...

Barbara,
You want both? So do I!

Mary Marvella said...

I would like both, please! Sometimes you really need a good laugh.

Mona Risk said...

Yes moms lie!!! You couldn't have chosen a more appropriate story today, just when I finished uploading my first selfpubbed book, NO MORE LIES. A mom entangled in her lies because what's better, A lie that brings a smile or a truth that draws a tear?

Josie said...

MM,
I'm greedy. I want both, too. Should I add a great personality and a little wealth never hurts? :)

Josie said...

Mona,
Super! My blog leads right into yours. Perfect planning!

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Yes, moms lie. I was out to dinner with my grown sons and their wives. The "boys" got to talking about the things I used to do, one of their favorite sports, you understand--pick on Mom. I get no respect! My oldest son said, "Remember that line you fed us about eating our green beans so our 'weeners' would grow? You had me eating green beans like crazy."
His wife spoke up, "Oh, yeah, you SO lied on that one." We nearly fell out of our chairs laughing. But, hey, those green beans kept him healthy! Of course mom's lie. Please, tell me I'm not the only one.

Terry Spear said...

LOL, this was too cute, Josie! I love it!

And Vonnie, that is too funny!!!

My dad was the one in our family that had all the sayings. "If you don't eat your spinach, you won't grow hair on your chest."

And of course we all would laugh and say, "Why in the world would we want to grow hair on our chests??"

But I have to say that I did tell one of those white lies:
"I know what you're doing because I have eyes in the back of my head." Course, my son was like, "No," but he sure did look. :)

And yes, a man with a sense of humor is the only way to go. If he has both that and muscles, the lady is one lucky wolf. :) I mean, woman.

Josie said...

Vonnie,
My youngest son, now 31 years old, told me that he actually believed me when I had told him that "Moms have eyes in the back of their heads." So, he caught me!

Josie said...

Terry,
As I said above, I used to tell my sons the same thing. Desperate times raising 2 boys called for desperate measures.

Dawn Marie Hamilron said...

Hi, Josie. Your posts always make me smile. Thanks!