Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Lawsuits, Writer's Block, and Life

Do you realize that this is the first time in 5 years I don't have a book releasing in the fall? Lordy, I don't know what to do with all the spare time!

Oh, wait. Yes, I do know what to do. I have to deal with Life.

In order of annoyance:

Lawsuit: the buyer of our previous home has decided to hire a lawyer and threaten to sue us for non-disclosure of wrong things in the house that 'are causing her extreme anguish.' I won't go into details but suffice it to say: the things she's claiming are things we knew nothing about, she had a home inspection, and we hired a lawyer who essentially said, 'gee, she's got buyer's remorse and now she wants you to pay for it.' It's a long story best told over a few drinks in a bar. Bottom line: we're waiting to see if (1) we'll be sued; (2) she'll come back with a monetary figure that will buy her off; or (3) we're on the hook.

Did you know that a buyer has 2 years from the closing date to contest the sale of a home? I didn't know that. I thought everything was done the day you closed. Nope.

So that's the biggest PITA right now. Stay tuned. I'm sure we're not done with the BFH (Buyer From Hell).

Second annoyance: writer's block. I'm trying to finish my damn WIP and it just won't finish. I'm not happy overall with how it's going. I blogged over at Savvy Authors about why I think it isn't working and what I'm going to do about it. But in 5 years of writing, I've never faced this. It's disconcerting, to say the least.

And, lastly: Moving. Yes, we've moved, but now I'm in the process of adapting. Finding a doctor. Finding a dentist. Finding a massage therapist. Finding the place to buy {insert item here}. I have a lot of friends here who have made recommendations, but inevitably, it's up to me to find the right person/place/thing. I'm trying to find a carpenter to do work: no go. I think I'll need to wait until the dead of winter before anyone will want to do interior work. Find an electrician: wait until winter until all home building is at a standstill. Find a landscaper ...

You get the idea. Nothing we need to have done is major or critical, but it's annoying. I used to have my Go-To Guys for everything. Now I'm making lists.

Oh well. This all will pass. I'll console myself with Halloween candy (wait: I'm supposed to give it away? Who made up THAT stupid rule?), keep writing, and eventually get it all taken care of.

And my next book? The one I can't wait to write? It involves this woman who has buyer's remorse and who decides to sue somebody. The house gets its revenge.

{cue maniacal laughter }  Bwaa-ha-ha-ha.

3 comments:

Dawn Marie Hamilron said...

'Life' can be annoying at times. Hope things level out soon. And the new book idea--a house that takes revenge. Interesting! LOL!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Wow, two years to decide not to buy a home. I had no idea! Thank goodness you're carrying all that angst into a book...catharsis around the corner! As for getting used to a new home/community/state...that does get tougher as we get older, doesn't it? I'm really having to work at making friends in our new place in CA...they don't come knocking on the door, that's for sure. Good luck on all your tribulations...handing out Halloween candy sounds easy in comparison :-)

Josie said...

JL,
Well, that's news to me. Two years? My 82 year old mother just closed on her home yesterday. I won't tell her this news.