Wednesday, June 12, 2013

When you borrow a book from the library is it paperback, hardcover, or digital?

Recently, I read an article that said there was an increase in e-book borrowing from libraries of two percent over last year (increase from three percent to five percent.)  There was also an increase in the amount of people who were aware that libraries allowed e-book borrowing.  I have to admit, I was one of those who only recently realized that libraries were seriously offering this service.  I've never done it, so the hows of it all  are still a mystery to me.

Libraries have always been one of my favorite places.  I love being surrounded by books written by authors from The Harlem Renaissance to some of my contemporary favorites, like Jane.  But, I guess it seems a little odd to me (an e-book reader owner) that libraries allow the borrowing of e-books.  In all fairness, I have to admit that I also find it weird that Amazon allows returns on e-book purchases.

I don't know why I feel there's a difference between e-book borrowing and print book borrowing, but I do.

But, I would never want to see libraries die.  If e-book borrowing helps save libraries, I'd prefer libraries allow borrowing to Amazon e-book return policy.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Mona Risk said...

Tell me about return on ebooks. You have 7 days to return an ebook on Amazon. During that time you can easily read 7 books and return them! Why would anyone borrow book that are at 99cents!