Monday, July 22, 2013

Whew! Great Conference



RWA® 2013

 
You've probably seen a ton of posts on blogs, FB, and Twitter about the 2013 conference in Atlanta, so I'll keep this post short. After the long drive home yesterday, I feel as if I have a bit of a hangover. Although I'm moving a bit slow, my mind is in a whirl, making to-do lists.
 
There are so many reasons to attend a conference such as this. Number one for me is connecting with other writers who understand the ups and downs of the business. Last year was my first conference and this year I enjoyed hanging with friends I'd made and meeting new friends.
 
Workshops are the second reason I attend National conference. I was happy to see so many self-publishing workshops this year. Thank you, RWA! I attended several, along with the spotlights on Kobo and Smashwords.
 
Many chats in workshops and around the lounge referred to a somewhat new term, hybrid author. An author who publishes both traditionally and indie like our very own Terry Spear. I also heard the term tri-published. An author who publishes digital only with a small publisher, traditionally, and indie. The times they are a changing! Yay!
 
~Dawn Marie
Author of  Just Beyond the Garden Gate, A Highland Gardens Novel
Available on Kindle and Nook
 
 

2 comments:

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

I'm glad you had a great time at conference, Dawn. I love attending them, but didn't go this year so I can attend RT in New Orleans next May.

Dawn Marie Hamilron said...

We missed you, Paisley! RT in New Orleans will more than likely be a blast. Enjoy!