Friday, December 20, 2013

All I want for Christmas is--- honest critiques


My current WIP is a rewrite of my first completed romance. The original rambled, had way too many scenes that didn't advance the plot, and was overly autobiographical.  It also had a surprisingly potent story arc, vivid secondary characters,and a hero I still dream about at night. I submitted it six years ago and received slammed door rejections. They hurt, but they taught me that I had much to learn about the craft of writing.

The spectre of self-doubt is my constant companion, but like Scrooge on Christmas morning, I believe in second chances. I am determined to gestate this rewrite and give it birth. I will let this story go and start on the next one.

That's where critiques come in. The true spirit of the Christmas season is giving, and I am grateful beyond measure for every critique I give and receive.

The critiques I do for others teach me to be a better writer. The critiques I receive are the best gifts I could ever receive.

Christmas all year round.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

No comments: