This month's issue of Writer's Digest is The Big 10 issue and it inspired me to list the 10 things that distract me from writing.
10. Cleaning: I hate cleaning though I love a clean home (doesn't everyone?) However, I feel the need to clean when I hit a rough patch in my writing. Those moments when I don't know where the scene or characters are heading and the story knots itself up. Oddly enough, after everything is scrubbed clean the problem has unraveled and I jab away at the keys.
9. Showering: Unlike cleaning the house, I love showering. I do this twice a day and in New York City's sweltering summer heat, it could go up to four or five times a day. However much like cleaning, I become inspired and the ideas flow from me like the water from the shower head. Unfortunately by the time I get out, I've forgotten all the wonderful ideas.
8. Eating: This provides me energy and nourishment (unless its candy, which is plain delicious) so I can slump in my chair and be distracted by #7-1.
7. Answering Email: Much like snail mail its a great time waster and maybe I'll discover something that gets my fingers typing again. Most of the time, it doesn't.
6. News: I read gossip rags. I love them. I don't believe the stories and I don't really care who Jennifer Aniston is dating, where Angelina is in the world yet none of that stops me from pouring over them. Oh and I don't stop at with the US rags, I read the UK ones too. Then after that it's onto Huffington Post, NY Times, LA Times and Telegraph. All great times wasters but inspiration can come too.
5. Sleep: The body needs it. I love it. If I could get a job as a mattress tester, I would. Besides, I had enough sleepless nights in college--NO MORE!
4. Facebook: A time sucker in a fun way and nothing to help writing...at least not yet.
3. Twitter: Thought this one should be higher? Not for me. Like Facebook, a time sucker in the greatest way.
2. Life in New York City: Being in New York there are a million things to do. Enough, said.
Sunday: True Blood, Drop Dead Diva, Masterpiece Theater
Monday: The Closer, Lie to Me, Rizzoli & Isles, Two an a Half Men *
(Monday-Friday Chelsea Lately)
Tuesday: Memphis Beat
Thursday: 30 Rock, Community, Bones, Glee
Friday: I can't remember but I'm sure I find something
Saturday: BBC, HBO, Starz,
Who knows what will be added when the fall season ends