Wednesday, June 15, 2011

THE BIG WAIT

LAST RESORT released this weekend: my first novel to be published, the first thriller I’ve ever written…the first time I’ve put my story out for public view. Now I’m nervously drumming my fingers on the table, waiting for people to read the book. My friends and family call it a page-turner, but will strangers agree? Are my characters, plot and setting interesting enough for strangers to recommend the book to each other…to order it for their book clubs…to lend it to neighbors and friends…to read it a second or third time?

The suspense is killing me!

You see, I’m an extrovert, immensely comfortable with face to face connecting with strangers. But I don’t get to accompany my book when it finds itself in the hands of a reader who doesn’t know me. That makes me feel helpless as well as anxious. My story has to sell itself on its own, unsupported by my personality.

In fact the solitary act of writing doesn’t fit my personality type. To offset the isolation, I seek critics to assess my novels in progress; I treasure input and I revise happily because of questions and criticisms of my drafts. Though I realize my time for revision of LAST RESORT is over, I still yearn for feedback.

I’ve learned a lesson from this experience: I’m going to write reviews of the books I read from now on. And I hope that readers of LAST RESORT will do the same for me.

The Wild Rose Press http://tinyurl.com/682vwgv

and Amazon http://tinyurl.com/3cq6d7b

http://www.rolynnanderson.com

http://blog.rolynnanderson.com/

13 comments:

morgan said...

Rolynn,
Keep in mind, that often the response or comment feedback doesn't always work, which means people can love your book, but be unable to respond. The flipside of the coin is often people who like something don't respond. They have an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude.

It must be very hard for an extrovert because it isn't too easy for an introvert to wait either. Where can readers get a copy of your book. I know I should know this, but I don't.

Remember you wrote a good book and it's published that is the dream of all writers.

Dawn Marie Hamilron said...

Good luck with the new book, Rolynn. Try to enjoy the ride. :)

Sheila Tenold said...

Congratulations, Robin. I lean toward introvert, but certainly have similar concerns whenever I share my writing.

Good luck!

Jill James said...

Congratulations to my fellow Rose. I can't wait to get your book and read it. I totally agree that it is a nice gesture to leave reviews. As authors it is the only concrete feedback we get.

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Best of luck with lots of sales. I know how you feel, it's hard to let go. I am unpublished and hope to enjoy the experience some day. I bet you will earn lots of fans with your story. :)

Rolynn Anderson said...

Hello, my friends in waiting! Morgan, you're right...introvert or extrovert, it's hard to wait. Morgan, Dawn, Shiela, Jill and Paisley, thanks for your good wishes. Paisley, your day will come (mine took 8 years to get here). Morgan, you asked where to find my LAST RESORT...Wild Rose or Amazon. The Wild Rose Press http://tinyurl.com/682vwgv

and Amazon http://tinyurl.com/3cq6d7b Let's all promise to write reviews of what we read, how about...and reduce the agony :-)

Mona Risk said...

Rolynn, congratulations my friend. We thought that getting published is the arrival line, and now we discover it's a new starting line. Don't worry you're not alone. We all bite our nails waiting for reviews, comments and statistics. But you have a good story, so stop worrying.

Lynne Marshall said...

One thing for sure, we all know how you feel! Here's hoping your reviews start rolling in.

Glad to see you've found a publishing home!

Jannine Gallant said...

I'm in your shoes - 1 month and counting and still no reviews on my last release. I had 5 reviews at this point on the one before it! Makes a person want to rip their hair out with frustration. Keep the faith - you wouldn't be published if your editor didn't think it was great!

LaVerne Clark said...

I totally agree with you Rolynn. The reviews on mine have slowed, but it doesn't stop me hoping another may be just around the corner! It's exciting but makes me sick to my stomach to know others are reading and leaving an opinion on my work.

I leave a review on Goodreads for every book I read after becoming a member early this year. I'm thrilled to read TWRP authors especially. All of them I've read so far have been of excellent quality. I'll add yours to my TBR list too!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Mona, you are my optimistic alter ego...from the beginning,,,since I've known you. Thanks for being such a supporter! Lynn, thanks for the encouragement. Jannine...you're scaring me. One month. I'll never make it 30 days. Good thing I'm sitting on my boat in the beauty of Petersburg, AK. Waiting works better here. Thank you, LaVerne, for taking the pledge with me. I think most people WANT to publish a review, but they're shy, lack confidence, etc. Not us...not this group of tough women we are! Cheers to us all! (We will wait no more!)

Josie said...

Rolynn,
Congrats on your release. I remember critiquing some of your work on the FTH loop. You have a great voice. I'm sure the book will do very well.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Thanks, Josie. I remember you, as well. Our journeys as writers look more like cross country than ribbons of highway, don't they. Good luck to you! Rolynn