Saturday, June 18, 2011

An Egyptian Legend

 Last year, I had the unique opportunity of traveling to Egypt, cruising the Nile River and touring the monuments of Ancient Egypt. 

The Temple of Isis, in the Island of Philae, where part of my story is set.
After immersing myself in the pharaonic civilization, I brought back hundreds of pictures and brochures about Egyptian gods, and even a map of Ancient Egypt to help in my research. 
The Island of Philae, picture taken from a boat on the Nile River
Osiris’ Missing Part,  my first paranormal romance, is set in mythological Egypt.
This book is dedicated to the many friends, readers and fans who love Ancient Egypt, a fabulous civilization, shrouded in mystery, glamour and mysticism.

Isis, Osiris, Seth.
According to the legend, the evil Egyptian god of storm, Seth, killed his brother Osiris, chopped him into fourteen pieces and flung them all over Egypt. Isis, goddess of family, reassembled thirteen of his body parts. Since she couldn’t find his supernatural male member where his godly power was stored, she reattached a human one.

Isis has always loved Osiris, the charming god of labor every woman adores. While dreaming of marriage, family and a son, she helps him fight Seth. Together they struggle to survive iniquities and perils.

His trip to the Afterlife has changed Osiris. He’s attracted to Isis and regrets his past womanizing. Guided by oracles she utters when they make love, they search lands and seas until they find his missing organ and he recovers his godly attributes. Osiris has fallen in love with Isis but the sins of his past and their unexpected consequences threaten to separate them more painfully than Seth’s mayhem and curses.

Chapter One

Ancient Egypt, at the dawn of time.

Isis, goddess of health and family, bent over the gilded sarcophagus and laid her cheek upon the lifeless face. “Osiris, my love.” Grief raked her and soft sobs escaped her lips as she stroked his chest with tender caresses.

After a moment of desolation, she exhaled at the futility of her moaning. Desperate words and kisses had never revived a dead body, especially one cut into several pieces. Determined to bring him back to life, she swallowed her wailing and stiffened her back. Adjusting his severed parts close to each other, she pressed them tightly together and sealed the junctions with her tears.

With the greatest care, she pressed her key of life to Osiris’ forehead, swept it over his chest and belly, and tapped his groin a few times while she recited a litany of prayers from the Book of the Dead. “Osiris, god of knowledge and work, I command you, leave the Afterlife.”

The body squirmed against the walls confining him. Clutching her key of life with all her strength, she brushed his lips with a cautious kiss and blew her godly vigor into his mouth. His chest rose and fell.
Joy exploded in Isis’ heart. “Almighty Osiris, you’re alive. Finally.” Her voice resonated like a triumphant hymn.

His eyelids fluttered and he squinted. “Isis,” he muttered in a guttural voice she hardly recognized. “Where…what…?”

Dropping to her knees in the mud and the dewy grass on the bank of the Nile River, Isis watched him anxiously as he patted his neck and torso. His hand skated to his belly, skimmed down to the junction of his thighs and lingered over his shaft. Shock and fear twitched his face. He yanked back his fingers and heaved up his head for a better look at his groin.
The Nile River

“By my ankh-specter and its tau, this isn’t… Where is my…my…?” Osiris’ loud interjection ended in a groan that gnawed at Isis’ heart. It hadn’t taken him long to notice the unfamiliar member. Panic filled his eyes at the absence of his most prized organ and his gaze flitted from his crotch to her face.
 
A sigh escaped Isis’ quivering lips. Unable to detach her gaze from the area that should have harbored his fabulous shaft and now displayed a human penis, void of supernatural power, she debated how to reveal the tragedy.

“You’re alive and awake.” To reassure him, she caressed his chest with her open palm and leaned forward to rain kisses over his taut flesh. “Still more handsome than any desert knight, my lord. A generous king of the earth that Egyptians revere.”

Her loving gesture elicited another growl of frustration. With a disgusted grunt, Osiris grabbed her hand and lowered it between his thighs. “This is not my glorious member, my pride. Isis, my godly power is missing. What happened?” His voice curt, his tone impatient, Almighty Osiris scrambled to a sitting position in the wooden coffin. “Where is my own penis?” His thunderous voice echoed across the clouded skies. “Answer me, woman.”

The Temple of Karnak
OSIRIS' MISSING PART Ellora's Cave Blush, June 23, 2011
A sensual paranormal romance based on a legend and set  in Egyptian Mythology. Feel the humor and emotion, share the action and suspense, as you explore Ancient Egypt from the Valley of the Nile to the Red Sea shore and beyond.


27 comments:

Judi said...

Sounds like a great story. I spent 10 days in Egypt some years ago when my son was in college there.

Same son is living in North Africa so I get to go visit. That part of the world is very interesting.

Mona Risk said...

Hi Judi, Ancient Egypt is even more interesting than our present times. You will be able to re-live your visit to Egypt through my book.

Beth Trissel said...

Fascinating Mona, and sounds quite different from what you normally write. Great pics too.

Mona Risk said...

Thanks Beth. I hope paranormal and historical romance readers will enjoy the legend of Isis and Osiris, a famous legend we never learned about in school.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Men, haven't changed, have they? Did he complain about the scars where he was joined together or the sound of his voice. Noooooo, his hand went straight to his penis. Loved it. Seriously, I'd never heard this legend. It should be a great read. Thanks for sharing, Mona. Egypt, how exciting!!

Dawn Marie Hamilron said...

Love your post, Mona. I enjoyed studying the gods and mythology when I was in school. (Long time ago.) Must admit, I never came across this particular tale. :) It must have been fascinating visiting Eqypt. I always get chills when I visit ancient places. Your excerpt certainly hooked me. Another book for my TBR list. Good luck!

Autumn Jordon said...

Mona, I want your life, just for a week. I need to bring mom though. She'd loved this trip too. Thnaks for sharing the pictures.

What a great premise for a book. I love it.I need to go to Amazon now.

Sue Palmer Fineman said...

Wow! I never would have thought to write a book like this. I love the concept and the teaser.

Vonnie's right. Just like a man to go straight to his penis, the part of his body he deems most important.

Mona Risk said...

Vonnie, you should see what comes in the rest of the scene. Mem are men, even if they are gods. LOL

Dawn, if you google the Legend of Isis and Osiris, you'll find it. I have a one-page prologue with the legend according to Plutarch.

Autumn, I'll feel honored if your Mom read my book. I promise you she will laugh. Unfortunately my Mom didn't live long enough to see the book released, but I told her about her and she was very supportive.

Sue, I used my imagination and a good thesaurus to use words for THE word. LOL

Jean Drew said...

Mona, I am passionate about ancient Egypt, having studied it and been there myself. Eternal Hearts is the result and I'm working on a trilogy. Wishung you many sales with Osiris.

Jill James said...

Mona, what a unique story. Can't wait to read the rest of it.

Mona Risk said...

Thank you Jean. I didn't know you wenmt to Egypt. No wonder you set a story there. Check the video, your book covers are there.

Jill, I am counting the days. Release is next Thursday. You'll hear me screaming. LOL

Jannine Gallant said...

Wow, what a wonderful trip! I'm green with envy. Your book sounds terrific.

Mona Risk said...

Hi Janine, come along for an armchair traveling through my book. You'll visit Egypt and the Seychelles Islands.

books4me said...

Sounds like a great book....I have added to my TBR list for the end of the month. Someday we will go to Egypt. My 13 year old daughter is fascinated with Egyptians. Her fall and spring projects in social studies resulted in a 110, A++, all year! At camp, she is taking a mythology class that compares Greek, roman, and Egyptian mythology! She would love this book....when she is much, much older of course!!

Mona Risk said...

Hi Bearaboo, it's wonderful to see young girls so interested in ancient history. I am sure your daughter would greatly enjoy a trip to Egypt. When the situation settles, I plan to take my children, spouses, and my grandchildren on a ten days tour of ancient Egypt. You will enjoy the book. It's quite funny but not for a young girl.

P.L. Parker said...

My dream trip - to cruise the Nile and see everything. What a wonderful adventure. I've always loved ancient history and stories of ancient Egypt always catch my attention. Great post Mona

Mona Risk said...

Hi Patsy, I hope you'll be able to realize your dream and cruise the Nile River. Until then, you'll have the opportunity to do it through my book.

Kat Attalla said...

I've had the good fortune to live in Egypt from 2006-2008 and that area was ans still is one of my favorite places. I look forward to reading the story and reliving my own time there. I can't wait to go again, but until then, I look forward to seeing it though another writer's eyes.

Mona Risk said...

Hi Kat, where did you live in Egypt? Was it Cairo or Alexandria?
I did my best to weave the Egyptian culture into my story, and I will take you from Upper Egypt, along the Nile, and all the way to the Red Sea.

Kat Attalla said...

I lived in Giza- across the river from Cairo. But the family has a summer house in Aigamay (suburb of Alexandria) and another in Ain Soukna (on the red sea near Suez.) But every time my daughter or I had visitors from the states, we went to Luxor and cruised to Aswan. The great part of being Egyptian-- my daughter and I are duel citizens-is that we pay 25% of what the tourists pay for ships, plane and hotels.

Sandra Cox said...

Traveling in Egypt! Sounds wonderful, Mona.

Josie said...

Mona,
I absolutely love this! The premise, the setting, the writing...you have a hit!

Mona Risk said...

Kat,

I haven't been to Agamy for so many years. I wonder how it looks now. Last year I didn't like Sharm El Sheikh, too commercial. But the temples of Louxor, Karnak, KomOmbos and Phillae were amazing.

Mona Risk said...

Sandra, dreams come true. You never know, you may go there. Until then enjoy my book and the armchair traveling.

Mona Risk said...

Sandra, dreams come true. You never know, you may go there. Until then enjoy my book and the armchair traveling.

Mona Risk said...

Thank you Josie. You make me feel so better.