Sunday, September 25, 2011

Writerly friends and fallow times

For the first time in years, I'm not enthused about writing. I've had occasional moments like this before, but this has been dragging on for a month or more.

It's not a big concern to me. I still have stories to write and I'm sure I'll write them. But it's odd. A big part of my life is missing. I think it's because we moved and I got out of the habit of writing. So many other things took the place of writing: packing, unpacking, financial details, movers, new town, new friends, new house, new office... I also had 8 books release this year: 4 new ones and 4 re-releases, and they all released before July. So I was so damn busy with that, as well...

Writing is a business, an avocation, and a chore sometimes. There isn't a lot of reward (financial or otherwise), but it can be fun, too. I had lunch with two local writers lately, and that interaction reminded me about the fun of writing, the enjoyment to talk with others who know about plot points, arcs, and character development. I do a Skype session once a week with a writing friend, but that one-on-one interaction with other writers was a lot of fun.

I'm on vacation now (and away from the computer, so forgive me if I don't answer a comment), and I hope when I get back that I can re-capture that writing "glow" so that I enjoy sitting down to the computer again. I envision myself looking at the snow falling as words fly off my fingertips...

I can hope, right? You bet!

3 comments:

Sarah Tokeley said...

It will come back. One morning you'll wake up and be anxious to write. Either that, or you'll eventually drag yourself to the computer and force yourself to write something which will kickstart your creativity :-)

Greta said...

You can more than hope! You can know it will happen.

And those words really _do_ fly off your fingertips ... :)

Josie said...

J.L.,
When you return from vacation, just sit at the keyboard and type. You'll see, the spark will return after a little rest and relaxation.