Sometimes, the writing life can get you down—the rejections, the solitude, the relatively low chances of big pay…
But this weekend, I thought it would be fun to think of all the reasons why being a writer rocks. Please add your own positive ideas to this list—and spread the love! What’s your favorite thing about being a writer?
10. You can work in your PJs.
9. A trip to the bookstore is a tax write-off.
8. “Not now, I’m reading this book,” is akin to “I can’t, I have a meeting.”
7. It’s weird if you don’t hear voices in your head.
6. When you go to a job seminar, you actually have fun!
5. What other job puts such a high value on otherwise useless information?
4. If your coworker is annoying you, get the leash and take him for a walk.
3. Writing is the perfect fusion of acting (inhabiting character), drawing (indulging in detail of space), performance (a show offered with unmatchable intimacy), social sciences (the study of human behavior), and imagination (possibility is infinite!).
2. To a writer, everything in life--from a skinned knee, to a divorce, to a broken car, to the bottom of a baby's foot--is filled with the potential for inspiration. Everything has practical value in the writing life.
1. With book people, you’ll find kindred spirits everywhere you go.
Best and love,
Come join me for book giveaways, author interviews, and book talk!