Saturday, January 15, 2011

My New Sachet: The Scent of a Book

My New Sachet: The Scent of a Book

from Rolynn Anderson

I admit I used to be a little nervous about e-pubbed literature and e-readers. I grew up with books and bookstores and like my friends, I could get a little emotional when I thought about the disappearance of hardback and paperback books going the way of LP’s. But my shelves are chock full of books that I can’t make myself throw away, leaving no space for new ones. What’s more, when my husband and I go boating for months at a time, we don’t have room or the weight allowance to bring enough books along. Call me fickle, but I transferred my allegiance to a Kindle with scarcely a look backward.

My friends haven’t adjusted so quickly. They’re still in shock that a population could turn their backs on printed books. So I asked them how I might help them transition to e-readers. Their response? They say it’s the smell of a book they’ll miss the most. So, while I market my first novel, LAST RESORT (soon to be available e-pubbed OR printed-on-demand), I’ve decided to make some extra money by developing and selling a sachet that smells like a book. My concoction will emit the odor of ink-on-paper, woodsy with a hint of chemicals…that marvelous bouquet that blasts you when you thumb through a paperback, priming it for a reading.

I’ve already applied for the patent and I’m contracting with some nice folks in L.A. who make stink bombs. They’re convinced my invention will be a big seller to any readers over 25.

Naming my fragrance comes next. Odour d’ Libre? Book Tang? Heaven Scent? I’m still open to possibilities. But how to use the sachets is a given. We’ll affix the potpourri’s to our e-readers, sit back in our chairs, beds or beach towels, and read to our heart’s content, the aroma of a ‘real’ book blending with the words we read. Nice way to transition from print to e-pub, don’t you think?

9 comments:

Mona Risk said...

Rolyn, you are an amazing person. I am trying to sell my books. Imagine selling not only your ebook but also a fragrance sachet. It's a great idea. I adjusted to ebooks on ereaders and find it so easy to take my ereader on a trip.

Dawn Marie Hamilron said...

Love your idea, Rolyn, though it won't solve my problem with ereaders. I'm extremely tactile and love the feel of a book in my hands.

P.L. Parker said...

What a good idea - you go girl! Nothing like multi-promo. I have to admit, I have an e-reader but it is still hard for me to give up the feel of a book in my hands.

Sheila Tenold said...

Roblynn, what a fun and clever idea! I hope it takes off. I expect my husband will buy me a Kindle for my birthday. I'd love to have a "bookish scent" included.

Jill James said...

Rolynn, love your idea. I love my ereader. I got a cover for it so it feels like holding a book, but really it is alot lighter than any book. I love my Nook.

Anonymous said...

I still love my real books. Congratulations on a great idea and my best to you and all your ereaders!

Caroline Clemmons said...

Cute post. Like you, I love my Kindle but have tons of books I can't make myself eliminate. I do reread some favorites, so I think my life will consist of both print and e-books.

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

It's sort of like the smell of a new car - what is it? I do love the musty smell of some of my great grandmother's books like 'Little Women' and such. If you don't do it, I bet somebody else will think of it. Loved your post and admire your imagination, Rolynn. :)

Josie said...

Your idea sounds like a good one--very innovative!

Best wishes on your e-publishing success!