Monday, March 7, 2011

Snowbirds

Last month I blogged about the birds on my balcony. At the time, I didn't know the common name for Juncos is Snowbirds. The little birds arrive at the feeders at the onset of cold weather and hang around until mid-March.

There is another kind of Snowbird—one of the human variety. They migrate from northern climes to the sunshine in the south. Might be Texas or Florida or maybe even Mexico.

I never thought I would join in this practice, but about five years ago, my husband and I were invited to a wedding in South Florida in February. Well that started it. We've been migrating south for a month every year since.

We camp and hike and bicycle and enjoy the warm sunshine. Our time in the south recharges our batteries, and for me my muse.

What do you do during the cold winter months to stay inspired?


Dawn Marie Hamilton

5 comments:

Jacqueline Howett said...

I live in Florida thankfully! Thanks for the read. You're lucky to be able to do that each year and to get a new perspective.

Pat McDermott said...

Here in New Hampshire, a relaxing day by the fireplace in the middle of a blizzard does wonders for me. I love New England's changing seasons.

Josie said...

Dawn,
I live in SC, which isn't exactly Snowbird country, but we're getting close to Florida. We used to live in upstate NY. If we still did, I'd definitely migrate south for part of the winter.

Clarissa Southwick said...

I live in Idaho, definitely a winter place. When we've had enough gray sky, we talk about moving. We pick a location and look at job offers, housing costs, etc. Then the sun comes out and we say, "Wow. Isn't Idaho beautiful?" And we forget all about moving until the next winter.

Dawn Marie Hamilron said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by and leaving a comment while I was away. We had a marvelous time in Florida. After we unpack and do the post vacation duties, I'll be ready to write again.