Wednesday, March 9, 2011

You're greater than you thin\bk

When we submit a manuscript or partial. and it comes back rejected, we tend to beat ourselves up, say our writing sucks, and shove it to the back of a drawer never again to see the light of day.

But let’s just hold on a cotton-pickin’ minute here. It’s time to rethink our strategy.
Calm down, find a quiet space where you can be alone to set aside a couple of hours and plan your best year ever.

Start by celebrating past success and review the past 12 months.
Most of us have a tendency to view “taking stock” as a chance to beat ourselves up and find fault with everything we have not accomplished.
That’s enough of that!
We’ll start from a place of power.
Give yourself some credit for what you have accomplished this year. Make a list, but don’t fall into the trap of thinking anything is too small to be of any value.

In one way or another, in one area or another (and likely in many), you’ve already come a long way.

Start by reviewing your accomplishments and successes.

Starting from March 2010, all the way up to today, make a list of all of the things you have achieved, all the goals you have accomplished, any new skills learnt, burdens done and dusted.

It doesn’t matter how big the goal was or in what area of life it was, write down every single thing you have achieved, no matter how small, or how big.

Month by month list and categorize everything you achieved in the last 12 months.

Now take a look at what you’ve written. You’ll probably find you’ve achieved more than you thought.

How good does it make you feel when you look at what you’ve accomplished:
What have you achieved?
Won a contract. Placed in a competition. Mastered a new skill.
What are you most proud of?
Sold a book. Becoming a mom. Learned to cook.
What have you learned that you didn’t know 12 months ago?
How to write delicious love scenes. How to work out great plots. How to bake light-as-air muffins.
What new skills have you acquired that you didn’t have this time last year?
How to plot. Finally mastered POV. How to work out scenes.
What challenges have you overcome?
How to write great opening pages. Writing synopses. The fear of public speaking.
What setbacks have you overcome?
Too many rejections. Fear. Those CP comments.
What situations will you look back on with a smile, even if at the time it felt uncomfortable?
That awkward love scene. The editor’s unwarranted comment about the hero.
What have you learned from these experiences?
Not to take comments to heart. That judge’s comments are subjective. That you should keep on writing no matter what.
How do you feel to be reminded of all your achievements?
Great. Fantastic. Sensational.

Start with how great you are, and you’ll soon be greater than you believed possible.
Jean

Yesterday’s Dreams
She was his strength; his weakness. Teenage love rekindled.
Available now from The Wild Rose Press

7 comments:

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

You are absolutely right about being positive. I call it counting my blessings AND I know how blessed I truly am. It is my nature to beat myself up when I don't do well, but it doesn't last long. I can't stand being sad for long. I have made four quilts to give away this past year - two baby quilts and two photo quilts. I have taken several classes online classes and find my writing skills are growing and traveled to the state of Florida twice. My fourth story is almost ready to send out and my CP says it is good. Life is SO good sometimes. :)

Luanna Stewart said...

Well said. Something we have to remind ourselves of regularly.

Jill James said...

I sold a book and had it come out. But I'm most proud of learning to follow an editor's edits and make my story better. That's great long-term.

Rolynn Anderson said...

Right on, Jean. I keep a running set of goals and accomplishments...I realize I haven't kept it up, lately. It always makes me feel good to see where I've been and how far I've come as an author. Thanks for the boost! Rolynn

Clarissa Southwick said...

What a great list of questions to bring any writer out of a rejection funk. Thanks for sharing it!

Josie said...

Jean,
We writers tend to beat ourselves up, but we should focus more on the positives rather than the negatives.

morgan said...

Thanks...it really hit the spot.