Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Deep in the writing cave: old dog, new tricks


I decided with my 15-book series to try to plot the books. I NEVER plot my books, but with 15 books, I think I need to make sure all my plot lines intersect. So I grabbed "The Writer's Journey" (which I skimmed once) and am now looking at the building blocks of the book.

I'm worried I may try to force some elements of the story into that structure, so I'm treading cautiously.  But in other cases, I can see where I need one of those plot elements and I'm missing it.

So here's a word of ?wisdom? ?caution? -- don't be afraid to go back and try something new. You'll never know what you discover.









1 comment:

Ana Morgan said...

I have become a plot outliner. I think one can write a great story without a plot strategy, but it's easier to pre-plot than to go back and fix a sagging middle or backtrack from dead ends.