Friday, May 14, 2010

Beth Trissel's Interview

Today's spotlight is on award-winning, multi-published author, Beth Trissel.
Beth writes American Historical books with a paranormal twist:
Daughter of the Wind, Enemy of the King, Through the Fire, Somewhere my Love.
Beth was a 2008 Golden Heart® Finalist, 2008 Winner at Preditor's & Editor's Readers Poll and Publisher’s Weekly BHB Reader’s Choice Best Books of 2009. Her latest paranormal, Somewhere My Lass, will be released at The Wild Rose Press on May 26, 2010.

Please join me in welcoming Beth Trissel.
Beth, thank you for spending the day with us. Please, tell us a little about yourself.

Where are you from? When you were young, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Thanks much for having me. Lovely to be here. I’m from Virginia for the past several hundred years, family wise, but also spent much of my childhood in Taiwan and Tennessee. Between the two, I much preferred Tennessee. Taiwan was pretty primitive in those days. Memories surface when I watch Indiana Jone’s movies of swinging bridges strung between mountain peaks over plunging ravines…natives missing limbs from venomous snake bites….noisy, stifling bus rides with crated chickens perched on women’s laps, children clutching piglets, and men spitting red betelnut juice.

Are there any authors that have influenced you or your work?
The very first historical romance I ever read was Katherine by Anya Seton. Wow, it made an enormous impression on me. Just to name one.

Do you have a favorite book or series?
I love quaint and cozy British author Miss Read in my downtime. I’m weird, I know. I read little fiction, mostly non for research.

What are your hobbies or interests?
I’m an avid gardener, have a burgeoning family with ever more darling little grand babies, nieces…and I’m a British program addict. My mom says I am an Anglophile. Sounds perverted but it just means there are few British period films, murder mysteries, or hilarious comedies that I’ve missed. I’ve seen every Jane Austen based production ever made. Oddly though, I’m also an American history fanatic, but the two are intertwined.

Speaking of, can you tell us more about your books? What inspired you to write them?
I’m a multi-pubbed, in historical and light paranormal romance, author with a passion for the past. Family genealogy plays a significant role in my inspiration. Our roots reach well back into colonial America and much further into the British Isles.

How long did it take for you to get published and what was the journey like?
I was like a sled dog pushing on through blinding snow with rejections galore and no end in sight for 12 plus years (and I even had a good agent at one point) until I finally found the Promised Land, otherwise known as The Wild Rose Press.

Any current projects you're excited about and can share with our readers?
Yes, indeed. I have a light paranormal release coming out at The Wild Rose on May 26th, Somewhere My Lass, a unique suspenseful Scottish time travel and the next book in my ‘Somewhere’ series.

Do you write to music or the TV? Music, mostly Celtic and soundtracks from movies that take me from ‘here’ to ‘there.’ I try to forge ahead and write despite the frequent children’s movies playing in the background when the little people are over – which is often.

Do you plot your story before you write it or do you sit and let it flow? I’m a panser trying to be more of a plotter but not really succeeding. I rely heavily on obsessive research. It’s my armor and guiding light.

Most people see writers as hermits, closed off in a room, clacking away at the keyboard until the final page is typed. Do you consider yourself this disciplined as a writer?
I’m not always allowed this luxury with all the people coming and going, but the cave days are ideal.

They say you can learn a lot about a person by their surroundings. What does your work area look like?
Cluttered, homey, filled with pets, flowers & herbs from the garden. And a lot of toys.

What do you consider your guilty pleasure?
I need to acquire one of those.

And here is a blurb of Somewhere My Lass.

Blurb: Neil MacKenzie’s well ordered life turns to chaos when Mora Campbell shows up claiming he’s her fiancĂ© from 1602 Scotland. Her avowal that she was chased to the future by clan chieftain, Red MacDonald, is utter nonsense, and Neil must convince her that she is just addled from a blow to her head–or so he believes until the MacDonald himself shows up wanting blood. Mora knows the Neil of the future is truly her beloved Niall who disappeared from the past. Although her kinsmen believe he’s dead, and she is now destined to marry Niall’s brother, she’s convinced that if she and Neil return to the past, all will be right. The only problem is how to get back to 1602 before it’s too late. The balance of the present and future are in peril if she marries another, and the Neil of the present will cease to exist. An ancient relic and a few good friends in the future help pave the way back to the past, but will Mora and Neil be too late to save a love that began centuries before?
Beth Trissel's books are available at the Wild Rose Press.

17 comments:

Josie said...

Beth,
I am so proud of you and your many accomplishments. Your books are poignant and wonderful.

Barbara Monajem said...

Beth, this is the second time in a week that I've seen Miss Read mentioned. My mom used to read her books, and I read one or two. They're very comforting stories.

I like Brit shows, too -- I'm not a TV addict by any means, but I've somehow managed to see a LOT of the British sitcoms, and I really love watching Dr. Who.

Beth Trissel said...

Thanks Joanne dear. As soon as I get my act together, I'll work on another one. :)

Lorrri said...

Beth, congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing that it took you 12 long years. As awful as that sounds - it's encouraging to me to know that often it takes a while.

Mona Risk said...

Beth, you are an example of perseverance and hardwork. I am glad you posted the blurb of Somewhere My Lass. What a beautiful cover.

Susan Macatee said...

Your new story sounds great, Beth! It's so good that you plowed through all those rejections to publication. Who know how many writers would have just given up?
Best of luck with this new one!

Beth Trissel said...

Thanks so much. Miss Read is very comforting and cozy. :) I am nothing if not determined.

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

I know we've been becoming great friends this week and I treasure the friendship. Your blurb is great and I wish you the best in a large sale on your story. I love historicals and have also drawn from the family tree - one being my great, great grandfather who wrote a journal as he came across the country in 1849 describing the journey on a wagon train. It is kept under glass at UC Berkeley Bancroft Library. He was the inspiration for my first story and propelled me into my others.

I think our past is a great piece of research to use in our stories. I send my best of luck to you, my friend.

Mary Ricksen said...

It's amazing how many people are just crazy about you Beth. It could be you're a fabulous author and person!
All I know to write is the past and different things that stuck in my mind.
That's why I love time travel.
By the way, I am so looking forward to reading another one of your imaginative stories. Love you Beth!!!

Jill James said...

Great interview. I love time travels and I didn't know they were even being done anymore. I love the idea that you can't find your true love because you are separated by time and space. You just have to find out "where" they are. I'll have to check out your books at the Wild Rose Press.

Beth Trissel said...

Thanks so very much everyone. ((()))

Gerri Bowen said...

Wonderful interview, Beth. Is Somewhere my Lass available on Nook?

Autumn Jordon said...

Great interview. I loved some things about you that I didn't know. I can't wait to read Somewhere My Lass.

Wishing you mega sales.

AJ

Helen Scott Taylor said...

Wonderful interview, Beth. Great to learn more about you. Living in Taiwan must have been interesting. Great research material!

Cate Masters said...

Wonderful interview! So glad you followed your bliss to the Promised Land. :) Somewhere my Lass sounds like another fantastic read. Wishing you all the best.

Julie Robinson said...

Hey Beth! I enjoyed learning more about you. You are an inspiration with your story of dedication to writing. I always enjoy your posts on MySpace, but missed this about your interview til I got my Daily Digest from CHRW..

Your fellow herbalist and gardener,
julie

Caroline Clemmons said...

Beth, I can hardly wait to read your new release. I loved Somewhere My Love. You're a gifted author.