Saturday, May 15, 2010

Researching Ad Nauseam

Research . . . ah, my favorite topic.

When my husband and I first met, we decided to buy a camera. In my world of BB (that’s Before Bob for you non-texting members), that meant going to the store, having the clerk tell you about the varying features of each manufacturer, and going home with a bag full of camera stuff to begin a new hobby.

Well, this one Saturday we set out to buy a camera. Man, I was psyched about developing this new hobby. What I didn’t know about Bob was his penchant for researching everything ad nauseam.

Despite my frustration of going home empty handed, I ultimately found the value of all that research. Let’s face it, some clerks intentionally provide misleading information just to make that sale. So, the morale of this story . . . or blog . . . is for you to do your homework. Know the answers to those questions before you say something that can be disputed by someone in the know.

So, how does this apply to us as writers? Well, if you’ve ever submitted a manuscript, and neglected to do your research, then you know there’s just so much creative licensing you can apply without writing a disclaimer on the title page.

The Internet is the highway to information. It amazes me how many people ask Google the same silly questions I do. More importantly though, it’s the window of opportunity to learn and not be afraid to focus your story on a subject of which you have no knowledge. It’s all right there just waiting for you to ask.

Need a tutorial on researching the most efficient way on the Internet highway? Check out this site: http://www.internettutorials.net. It’s easier than you think!

Oh, and in case you’re wondering. That camera? It took three months of research before we ultimately purchased the right one. So did I take up the hobby? Umm . . . no . . . but, I did launch another hobby—writing romances.

And, one more tool you should always have on hand, CHOCOLATE—and lots of it. Eating chocolate releases endorphins that help elevate a sluggish mood, it releases stress, and gives you an all over good feeling of well-being.

So, did you have your chocolate today?

5 comments:

Dawn Marie Hamilron said...

Hi Carolyn, I keep a box of Belgian chocolate on the kitchen counter. Gotta keep the stress down. Right? ;-)

Jill James said...

I make sure I have a piece of chocolate every day. The great thing about Hershey Kisses is that one is just right for a nibble.

I have a Bob too, his name is Patrick and we have to research EVERYTHING before we buy. It gets very tiring. But, research for writing is a good thing.

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Yes, we picked up some Swedish chocolate the other day at IKEA and it is to die for. :)

I use the Internet continuously for writing and personal information. It is an amazing place to play, learn and confirm.

Mona Risk said...

No chocolate for me. I asked my DH to hide it. Are all the hubbies similar? I thought you were describing mine!!!
I do my research by traveling.:)Very useful and fun.

Josie said...

I write historical romances, and extensive research is a way of life for me. While I'm researching, my chocolate of choice is Hershey's kisses.