Thursday, November 22, 2012

Being Thankful

By Paisley Kirkpatrick
This morning hubby and I were joking around. I tossed ''I sure am thankful for having you in my life'' at him and then realized, in all these years - 44 years on December 8th - I'd never actually told him how thankful I am that he is in my life.
I met him at an Air Force picnic. My 'big' brother was his sergeant. Bob tried to arrange an introduction at our Uncle Bud's birthday two weekends before. I didn't attend the party so joined them for an Air Force picnic in the mountains by Yosemite. I took one look at Ken, leaning against an apple tree with a drink in his hand, and knew he was the one for me. People scoff at love at first sight, but it happened for me AND I am very thankful.
Four months after we met, I put him on a plane to Vietnam for 366 days. We got married within the week of him coming home and being discharged from the service. I knew then how thankful I was that he made it home alive and well. Now that we are growing older, I still know how lucky I am and from now on, he will always be the one I thank first. Sometimes what's important is so close we don't recognize it until it's too late.

1 comment:

Josie said...

Paisley,
Such true words about not thanking (or sometimes appreciating) those closest to us. Congrats on 44 years together, and I wish you many more.