Friday, March 1, 2013

Does Your Mother Know? by Terry Spear






You read about S-E-X?  Or what if you write about it?

Does she know you read about R-O-M-A-N-C-E?

How about H-O-T and S-E-X-Y   W-E-R-E-W-O-L-V-E-S?

Or J-A-G-U-A-R    S-H-I-F-T-E-R-S?

Or H-O-T   B-L-O-O-D-E-D   V-A-M-P-I-R-E-S?

Or B-R-A-W   H-I-G-H-L-A-N-D   W-A-R-R-I-O-R-S?

Does she?

I've read romance books since I was little--you know: Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Rapunzel, you name it. They were romances.

So when did romance become a bad thing? My mother read a lot of different genres, including horror by Stephen King, but when it came to romance, no way. And S-E-X, no, no, no. And the paranormal?

As long as it was horror, she loved it. She made me fall in love with Dracula. Way to go, Mom!

She read my books--the sexless ones, or I read them to her, skipping over the sexier parts. We brainstormed for a new vampire story--this one was for my Kiss of the Vampire which is about 4 vampire teens who take a cruise to get away from their league of vampires who are ready to terminate them.

So Mom says, "Vampires on a cruise would be great! They have all those passengers to suck blood from. They can throw the bodies overboard and no one will ever suspect."

Sweet romance, Mom. I'm not writing horror stories. And that's how it went. My werewolves would shift and eat people and then return to human form. Mom, romance. Not horror.

When she'd tell friends what I'd write, she'd wave her hand and say, "Oh, you know that far-out paranormal stuff."

She was also a Trekky. Got me hooked on Star Trek.

So it wasn't like she didn't like far-out stuff. :) She just didn't want to read about R-O-M-A-N-C-E and S-E-X.

Which brings me to wonder why women who abhor those two things were all agog about reading 50 Shades of Grey??? Even my daughter (so this is a reversal of does your mother know--does your daughter know what mother reads...or writes?)--picked up that book, but quickly discarded it. But I was still shaking my head because if you want to go to the extreme, that book is it.

My mother would have been aghast. I was aghast that my daughter had been reading it!

So...that brings me back to our enlightened mothers...or daughters...do yours not want to know?

I'm also here today talking about Self-Publishing or Indie Publishing.

Have a super Friday!!!

 Terry
"Giving new meaning to the term alpha male where fantasy IS reality!"
www.terryspear.com  

1 comment:

Dawn Marie Hamilron said...

Love this post, Terry. My mother turned me on to Romances, but swore she never read the SEX parts. LOL!